Monday, January 11, 2016

Last days in London

We knew Grandma's visit heralded our last days in London, but her 15 day visit really seemed to fly by.

Before we knew it, she was packing up her bag and confirming her return flight to Maryland.

For me, it's easy to get nostalgic about the end of things.  I was thinking those glum thoughts of "This is the last time we'll go to Coram's fields," to "I'll never see that nice homeless guy in front of the Tesco Express," to "It'll be hard to call crisps chips and chips fries."

But of course, we did experience all our favorite things one more time.  The kids dealt with it better than I.

Fortunately before Grandma went home, I had a free day to run around the city and explore.  Admittedly, it was pretty amazing to not have to worry about a diaper bag, snacks, toys, gloves and hats, and strapping Lanna to my chest.  

Sue and I left together as she would be exploring the Tate Britain.  We took the double decker down past Parliament Square and then parted ways at the museum.

I walked about 13 miles that day, cruising all around taking pictures of any fancy car I found so I could share them with the boys later.   There were a few fancy cars out and about in London, including a tiny Hummer!  (A tiny Hummer seems very similar to a decaf non-fat latte - why bother?).







I also was looking for blue plaques.  

The blue plaques are placed on buildings to commemorate a person or event that occurred there.  Mostly for where people lived or work.  Naturally, these awesome circular history discs are the work of English Heritage!  Check it out here:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/blue-plaques/

Like a little boy collecting playing cards, I walked around to collect a few plaques.  These plaques have actually been around for over a hundred years and one was on our building!








The search for blue plaques took me throughout London.  Despite the threat of rain or the few minutes of a tepid storm, it was a glorious day to explore this city.  I enjoyed seeing many new parts of the city and walking through other known areas.

I also dropped by the Churchill War Rooms which were a fascinating glimpse into World War II.  To think of Churchill striding back and forth in those rooms, twisting the cigar in his mouth and puffing plumes of smoke to wreath his bald head was amazing.

There was also time for a few selfies with Big Ben before I met Grandma that afternoon.



And when Grandma and I returned home, the day got even better!

I took Joey to see The Force Awakens.  It was something we both were looking forward to for weeks!

Given I had seen the original Star Wars (in the theater) with my Dad and knowing how much that meant to me, I was hoping to provide Joey the same joyful memory and bonding.

For those who haven't seen it, Joey and I give it two thumbs up.



For those of you who haven't seen it, don't click this link since it has major spoiler potential.  For those who have seen it, you'll grudgingly admire the sheer nerve of this guy:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/this-star-wars-spoiler-is-so-audacious-you-cant-be-mad-1752242380

These exciting days helped to temper the sadness of leaving.

When we returned to Coram's field for our final visit, we found it just as we did on our first day!  The tents which had been there for weeks, the tents we watched the workmen struggle with were now gone, leaving the park feeling so open.



I felt the need to mark our time at Coram's, so I had brought a sharpie with me.  There, in the wooden tower that Joey and Sammy loved climbing and going down the big slide, the tower where they would chase each other playing James Bond or gather sticks and build a fire, there I wrote a little memento.



We also enjoyed Regent's Park one last time, or at least the boys did.  Lanna was too relaxed to get out of the stroller.





We also had to swing by Waitrose one more time (I already knew how much I would miss their complementary coffee which had sustained me so many times after a rigorous morning at Coram's fields).



Yes, that green coffee cup is indeed my last Waitrose coffee.

And suddenly it was December 23.  We took Grandma to the airport and dropped her off.

We did have a special surprise for the kids that day, a surprise Alisa will describe in greater detail.

After our fun day out on the 23rd, the 24th dawned rainy and grim.  The small market which teemed with stalls and students every Thursday was now down to 3 forlorn vendors and no customers.

We finished cleaning out 30 Torrington Square, Flat 2, removing all traces of our two months there.  All the luggage, toys, artwork, sundry kitchen items, and laundry basket were brought down and packed into the Peugeot.

It was Christmas Eve and we were off to Alisa's cousins.

It was Christmas Eve and we were leaving London.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.





Thank you London for such a wonderful time.  We look forward to seeing you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment